Sunday, March 8, 2009


You know being a photographer I have to say we get the craziest people and they sometimes come in saying the craziest things and want weird looking stuff too! The customer is always right so I usually have to smile and nod and say "yeah that looks great!" when I am using every ounce of strength I have to resist saying "that is maybe the dumbest thing I have ever seen" People want a sheet with 3 different poses on it with 3 totally different backgrounds. Sometimes it can look ok if they are at least a similar color. But really a Huge white pic then 2 small black ones with a blue background...ouch! Or yesterday! A bright orange background with a green vingette. ouch eyesore! If you like it though then whatever.
Oh and I love the parents who come in with the screaming 1 or 2 year old who say "he is such a great smiler! I don't understand why he is so upset" really??? You just threw a kid into an unfamiliar surrounding with strangers. I'd be a little upset too. so please...for our sake please dress in something that matches your kids so that maybe it will be easier to get them used to us with you in a picture. It really does work!
OH and we are photographers, not your babysitter, so PLEASE do not let your child climb our backgrounds pound on our computer keys, throw toys at our heads or kick us or spit on us...you know make them behave. You would do it if you were at the grocery store or the mall or wherever.
I also understand that your 2 week old probably gives you the most beautiful smiles at home.....chances are we are not going to catch it in the 20 minutes we get to spend with her.
Another thing that you probably need to know are that sometimes we crop pictures a particular way for a dramatic effect. Such as.....An extreme close up of the face, the emphasis is going to be on the eyes. So, We will, ok not sure about EVERYONE but most of the photographers I know, crop real tight and cut off the pic at the forehead, It looks awesome don't tell us we don't know how to do our job.
If you think you can do it then please keep your screaming nonsmiling, child who kicks me at home and do it yourself. Most of us do not get paid enough to listen.
I guess it sounds like I dont like my job. I really do. I am even looking into making a career of it I have to look into cameras and save up first though. I love being able to give you the memories of your loved ones to cherish for years and for generations to come.
Thanks for listening to my ramblings today I am in an odd kind of mood on this very rainy Sunday. :)

No comments: