There was an error in this gadget

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Scariest Moment of My Life

My good friend Angel posted an Aloha Friday question on her blog today.

What is the scariest moment of your life so far? If you are a parent, does it have something to do with your children?

It was way too much to type out in her comment section so here is my answer



I would have to say the scariest moment of my life was with my Karate Kid. He was about 2 and I was pregnant with the Princess. He got ahold of some meds that were not intended for him and took them. It was "Clonidine" my stepsons mom had him on it for supposed hyperactivity, he was 4. She sent it to our house in a non childproof bottle. After having it put up all weekend, I took it down out of the cabinet to make sure it got sent home and about 30 seconds later my little boy sad "mecine icky mommy" We quickly realized that he had taken approx 10x his big brothers dose. We called poison control and she told us to rush him to the ER she was calling to let them know we were on our way. That freaked me out, not that I wasn't enough, no time to wait for an ambulance, get him there NOW! I sat with him on my lap trying to keep him awake on the ride that seemed to last FOREVER! The EMT's were waiting outside for us and rushed him in. They quickly strapped him to a papoose and started iv's and tubes to pump his stomach. I curled up in a ball in the corner on the edge of hysterics. Hearing my 2 year old baby yell and cry "Help me Mommy they're hurting me!" was just more than I could handle.
They transported him via ambulance to a different local hospital and he was admitted overnight. My mom was out of town I couldn't get ahold of her. My husband kept thinking something was more important than being with our little boy and wasn't there much. It was horrible, the worst experience of my life. I cry still thinking about how close I was to losing him. The nurse told us right before we checked out that if we would not have caught it as quick as we did he would have fell asleep and never woke up. Thank the Lord he could talk and that my friend was there because I just froze! I didn't know what to do I was in such a panic when it first happened.
He was released a day later and has no lasting damage. Thankfully he doesn't remember it now. He was TERRIFIED of gloves for a very long time after that though. I can only think it is because of the drs and nurses working on him.
That would have to be the scariest moment of my entire life. I would not wish that on my worst enemy. I love my Karate Kid and am very thankful I have him in my life still.
Oh like a week or two later he had to have stitches on his eyebrow because he is my son and ran into the bathroom sink. I handled that very, very well! lol.

No comments: